Meet the Dwarf Cuttlefish, a new species to Adventure Aquarium, and now an official resident of KidZone.
Cuttlefish are Cephalopods (which also includes squid and octopuses), making it the second cephalopod exhibited at Adventure Aquarium – after our Giant Pacific Octopus of course!
Here are some super cool facts about one of KidZone’s newest creatures:
- Cuttlefish are sometimes referred to as the “chameleon of the sea” because of their remarkable ability to rapidly alter their skin color at will.
- Cuttlefish and other cephalopods use color to communicate warnings, mood changes, courtship displays or for camouflage.
- Cuttlefish have unusually colored blue-green blood. The blood is pumped by three hearts – yipes.
- Acrobats! They’re often seen walking on their arms and fins instead of swimming.
- They are typically light brown or greenish yellow-brown, covered in small white spots and blotches.
- Cuttlefish are from the Indo Pacific region, which includes the Phillipines, Borneo, Indonesia, Northern Australia.
- Their diet typically includes small fish and invertebrates.
Come meet our Dwarf Cuttlefish on March 31, when KidZone officially opens to the public.
One of the coolest things about our all-new KidZone?! The bubble pop-ups in our Coral Cluster exhibit. Get a unique fish-eye view of life inside this super-colorful exhibit! Our pop-ups were a hit with the kiddos during our Annual Pass VIP Preview Night on Saturday. Experience it for yourself on March 31 when KidZone officially opens to the public!
Our husbandry team is putting the “final touches” on KidZone! Adding Clownfish to Coral Cluster.
Another cool thing that we’re really excited about KidZone is that it was built with our littlest guests in mind. For example, three of our biggest tanks were lowered about 6″ from their normal viewing height, to accommodate even the smallest of fish watchers!
We just wanted to share this exclusive snapshot, taken by KidZone’s official spy, Gill, during his visit to the fabrication plant in Tennessee last week:
Check out these “whomp tubes,” funky musical instruments built just for kids. These will be part of Lizzie’s Lagoon – a musical play area where kids of all ages will have a blast creating musical scales on colorful whale drums, magical chime walls, and of course – acoustic whomp tubes. We won’t go into much detail on how they produce music and sounds (part of the magic is letting the kiddos discover it on their own), but they are sure to produce hours of fun and memories for you and your family!
Here’s your first look at the signage graphic for the future KidZone, opening March 2012 at Adventure Aquarium. The AquaPals will be there to cheerfully greet guests when they first walk through the doors of KidZone next month. Speaking of which – how cool would it to be one of the first to visit KidZone?! Be sure to like Adventure Aquarium on Facebook or follow Gill on Twitter for details on an upcoming contest where some lucky winners will get the chance to be one of our KidZone “testers!”
Here’s your first look at one of KidZone’s brand new interactives: Bobbi’s Beach Maze. Crafted with Adventure Aquarium’s littlest guests in mind, none of the maze walls are over 4 feet, so kiddos will be able to look up and see Mom and Dad, who can easily peek over the sides!
Stay tuned for more “First Looks” at all the cool stuff coming to KidZone, opening March 2012 at Adventure Aquarium.